I have recently been nominated for The Liebster Award and combined Sunshine Award/ Versatile Blogger Award. I was very kindly nominated by mylittlebookblog, so thank you very much ! The awards are here to highlight some great blogs that deserve to be read and recognised, so I would like to pass the awards on for that reason (:
Rules for the Liebster Award:
- List 11 Random Facts about you
- Answer the questions that were asked of you (by the blogger that nominated you)
- Nominate up to 11 other blogs for the Liebster Blog Award and link to their blogs
- Notify the bloggers of their award.
- Ask the award winners 11 questions to answer once they accept the award
11 facts about Amy:
1. My dad has taught my mum, boyfriend, all of my friends and myself to drive- and we all passed
2. I have swam with dolphins
3. I hate the feel of velvet
4. Barter Books in Alnwick, Northern England is my favourite bookshop ever
5. I have lived in the beautiful city of York for three years
6. I have a Jane Eyre tattoo
7. When I was 13 I met Jacqueline Wilson
8. I am staying in a treehouse this summer
9. I have a 14 year old cocker spaniel called Jasper
10. Lilies are my favourite flowers
11. For my 21st birthday I had a huge cake that resembled three books
My answers to My Little Book Blog’s questions:
1. What was your favourite book to read as a child?
Definitely, definitely George’s Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl! My mum read it to me when I was younger and I remember her doing Grandma’s voice and all the actions. It’s a wonderful book and I still like to read it.
2. What is your favourite desert island read?
I don’t have a particular one in mind but whenever I’m somewhere hot I like to read fictional novels about period Britain, or murder mysteries in Victorian London. Being away from Britain and staying somewhere entirely different takes all the clutter away- it somehow allows me to picture the setting even more intimately and strongly.
3. List 5 ‘must have’ books on your shelf.
This is such a difficult question, there’s just so many! If I had to pick?
The Great Gatsby- F.Scott Fitzgerald, for its beautiful story of the ruin of the American Dream.
Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte, because of its admirable and inspiring protagonist. Hence my tattoo!
The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories- Angela Carter, because she offers us a beautiful selection of fairy tales that are cruel, sensual and utterly seductive. It’s one of those rare things I have read that has stayed with me long after I finished reading.
A Song of Ice and Fire series- George R.R. Martin, I was absolutely gripped and did not put them down.
The Harry Potter books by J.K.Rowling. I grew up reading these and could not imagine my bookshelf without them!
4. What is your favourite genre of books?
Another difficult question but I’m going to go with American fiction. From the Greek Tragedy of the Carbone family in Arthur Miller’s A View from the Bridge, to the grotesque southern gothic of Flannery O’ Connor, and everything else in between.
5. If this character were a real person, what fictional character would be your best friend?
6. Which book has been on your shelves the longest?
The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. It’s part of the His Dark Materials trilogy and stupidly I bought the third one first! Needless to say I did read them in order in the end, and could never get rid of these.
7. Name a book you acquired in a certain way.
Captain Correlli’s Mandolin, the only English reading book in a newsagents in the middle of nowhere in Spain.
8. Have you ever seen a movie that you liked better than the book?
Still not sure which I like the most but the film and book of The Lord of the Rings are pretty close!
9. Which book has been with you to the most places?
I chose to do Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar as one of the texts for my dissertation, so in the long year I spent writing it the book came with me everywhere I went.
10. Have you ever given away a book for a special reason to a special person?
This question made me laugh, because for anyone who knows me well will know that it’s the other way around; I’m always the person taking books off other people!
11. Do you have a book that remind you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time?)
Definitely To Kill A Mockingbird. I studied it at school so it’s reminiscent of my time there, and it’s the first novel I remember reading that made me sit up and listen. The Hunger Games also reminds me of my last few weeks at uni; the boiler was broken so we had no heating or hot water, and I remember sitting huddled up on my bed absolutely freezing to death reading this book. Still, if Katniss can get through the Hunger Games I thought I could get through the cold!
My Questions for Nominees:
1. What book are you reading at the moment?
2. If you could meet any author and ask them only one question, what would it be?
3. Print or Kindle?
4. What is your favourite book quote?
5. Name five fictional characters you would want with you if you were stranded on a desert island
6. What was your favourite childhood book?
7. Why did you decide to write a blog, and what is your favourite thing about it?
8. Name a book that has evoked a particular emotion and why
9. Is there a quote or a piece of writing that reminds you of a specific moment in your life?
10. Does a character in a book you have read remind you of a friend or member of your family?
11. “A room without books is like a body without a soul”- Marcus Tullius Cicero. Agree or Disagree?
Blogs I nominate for The Liebster Award:
Rules for The Sunshine and Versatile Blogger Award are as follows:
1. Post the logo above
2. Accept the nomination and link back to the blog that nominated you
3. Answer the questions
4. List seven random facts about yourself
4. Nominate blogs and inform them of the nomination
My answers to The Little Book Blog’s questions:
Favourite colour: that winey/red colour!
Favourite animal: elephant
Favourite number: 31
Favourite non-alcoholic drink: cherry juice
Favourite alcoholic drink: red wine
Facebook or Twitter: Twitter
My passions: reading, writing and cooking
Giving or receiving gifts: receiving haha! Just being honest 😀
Favourite city: Prague
Favourite TV shows: I love Game of Thrones at the moment but Friends is an all-time favourite!
I’ve already listed 11 facts about myself for The Liebster Award so I won’t bore you any more!
My nominees for The Sunshine Award and Versatile Blogger Award: